How to Obtain and Qualify for a P-3 Culturally Unique Artist or Entertainer Visa

Qualifying and obtaining a P-3 Visa is a complex and fact specific process and the information below is a general overview. Please consult with an attorney at Theta Law Firm with your specific facts. An attorney is vital to help guide a potentially qualifying individual or group and their dependents through the process of obtaining a P-3 Visa in a timely fashion that will not disrupt or interfere with an event or your business.

Is the P-3 Visa for me?

The P-3 classification allows an individual having residence in a foreign country to come to the United States temporarily to perform services under a culturally unique program. A P-3 classification encompasses the following[1]:

  • A person coming to the United States to perform, teach, or coach as an artist or entertainer, individually or as part of a group, or to perform as an integral part of the performance of such a group, under a culturally unique program.
Requirements for P-3 Visa Filing

In order to obtain P-3 classification for an artist or entertainer or entertainment group under a culturally unique program, a sponsoring organization or United States employer shall file a petition on behalf of the artist, entertainer, or entertainment group. Certain requirements must be met and evidence presented when filing the required I-129 Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker.

Note that if the person attempting to obtain P-3 classification will work for more than one employer at the same time, each employer must file a separate petition. Additionally, only one P visa petition may be necessary where an entire entertainment group is seeking entry as a whole. The I-129 Petition MUST be submitted with all other below listed documentation in order to apply for P-3 classification.[2]

The following documentation is necessary[3]:

    1. Copies of any written contracts, or if only an oral agreement exists, the terms of such an agreement; and
    2. An explanation of the events or activities to be performed, including the dates of the events or activities, the locations, and a copy of any itinerary if one exists; and
    3. Written consultation with a labor organization. One would be advised to provide the labor organization with a copy of the Visa petition before filing in order to expedite the process and to make sure that the paperwork will be able to be provided by the labor organization; and
    4. Evidence that all of the performances or presentations will be culturally unique events (meaning the performances or presentations are aimed at developing, interpreting, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical, or artistic act); and
    5. Documentation that the performance of the artist, entertainer, or entertainment group is culturally unique, as evidence by reviews in newspapers, journals, or other published materials; OR
    6. Affidavits, testimonials, or letters from experts supporting the artist's or entertainment group's skills in performing, presenting, coaching, or teaching the unique or traditional art form and including the credentials of the expert, as well as the basis of his or her knowledge of the alien's or group's skill.
Note: You need either 5 or 6 above while the rest of the materials are required.

Remember that no matter where you are in the Visa filing or interview process, an attorney at Theta Law Firm can help you prepare for, and successfully obtain a P-3 Visa.

Change of Employment

If while already in the United States a P-3 Visa holder wants to change employers or sponsors, the new employer or sponsor must file a new petition application and request to extend the petitioners stay. The petitioner cannot work or perform while this new petition is pending.

Length of Stay

An artist, entertainer, or group that qualifies under the P-3 Visa provisions is allowed an initial stay of up to one year to complete the event or performance. An extension may be granted to complete an event or performance. These extensions are granted in one year increments.

Family of P-3 Qualifying Applicants

A spouse and any children under the age of 21 may accompany a P-3 Visa applicant so long as they obtain P-4 visa status. However, neither the spouse nor the child can work while accompanying a P-3 Visa applicant. Even so, any dependants can attend school or college.

Essential Support Alien[4]

There is an additional provision in the P-3 Visa statute, granting P-3 Visa status to personnel that are highly skilled, essential persons that carry out services not easily performed by a United States worker. To be considered an essential support alien, the person must have a significant support relationship to the P-3 artist, entertainer, or entertainment group.

A separate I-129 form must be filed by an employer or sponsor on behalf of such support personnel. The following must be included as evidence accompanying the form:

    1. Consultation from a labor organization with expertise in the support personnel's skill area;
    2. A statement describing the support personnel's essentiality, skills, and experience with the P-3 Visa artist, entertainer, or entertainment group;
    3. A copy of any written contract or summary of the terms of any oral agreement between the essential support personnel and the employer.
An essential support alien that qualifies under these provisions is allowed an initial stay of up to one year. An extension may be granted to continue to complete a particular event, competition, or performance in increments of one year.

If you do not specifically fit into the P-3 category, feel free to contact Theta Law Firm in order to determine if another visa may be right for you.

[1] 8 C.F.R. § 214.2(p).
[2] Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker may be found at:
[3] Requirements are set out in 8 C.F.R. § 214.2(p).
[4] Requirements are set out in 8 C.F.R. § 214.2(p).

You can reach an attorney at Theta Law Firm by calling us or sending us an email at Theta Law Firm can represent clients all across the State of California, including in any of the following counties: Alameda | Alpine | Amador | Butte | Calaveras | Colusa | Contra Costa | Del Norte | El Dorado | Fresno | Glenn | Humboldt | Imperial | Inyo | Kern | Kings | Lake | Lassen | Los Angeles | Madera | Marin | Mariposa | Mendocino | Merced | Modoc | Mono | Monterey | Napa | Nevada | Orange | Placer | Plumas | Riverside | Sacramento | San Benito | San Bernardino | San Diego | San Francisco | San Joaquin | San Luis Obispo | San Mateo | Santa Barbara | Santa Clara | Santa Cruz | Shasta | Sierra | Siskiyou | Solano | Sonoma | Stanislaus | Sutter | Tehama | Trinity | Tulare | Tuolumne | Ventura | Yolo | Yuba